Dear Students, Faculty, Staff and Families: Over the last several days, Syracuse University has administered nearly 15,000 COVID-19 tests across campus, and we will continue testing students through Friday as part of our second round of on-campus surveillance. I’m pleased…
Fifth annual Fashion Communications Milestone fashion show to be held April 1
Students from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communcations and College of Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) will present the fashion show “Fashion Follows Form: Fashion and Diversity” on Friday, April 1, at 7 p.m. in the Newhouse 1 lobby. The event is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served. Parking is available in SU pay lots.
The show is sponsored by the Fashion Communications Milestone, a collaboration of the Newhouse School and VPA’s fashion design program.
“This year is ‘a milestone for the milestone,’ because it’s our fifth year,” says Carla Lloyd, co-director of the milestone and associate professor in the Newhouse School.
Sections of the show include:
- “All Shapes and Sizes” (10-15 looks): Plus-sized looks address size/gender/androgyny with male and female models; clothes provided by area Thrifty Shopper stores.
- “Breast Cancer Awareness” (7-8 looks): Models are friends and family members of breast cancer survivors; they will wear clothing in shades of pink from area Thrifty Shopper stores.
- “Fashion’s Conscience” (15 looks): Fashion’s Conscience, an SU student organization that strives to increase diversity on campus and provide support for students pursuing degrees in fashion, will work with area artists and craftspeople to style looks that celebrate black and African heritage with a contemporary twist.
- “Youth & Fashion Course Eco-Friendly Creations” (25 looks): Fashion design professor Laurel Morton, her students and students from a Syracuse City middle school will show stylish creations made from recycled clothes, and one-a-of-kind T-shirts with sustainability and fashion messages.
- “Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior Exhibit” (40-50 looks): Fashion Design freshmen, sophomores and juniors showcase their original, juried designs.
The Fashion Communications Milestone is a concentration that explores fashion and beauty as communication. Coursework, which is drawn from both Newhouse and VPA, covers such topics as the history of fashion; contemporary fashion in popular culture; visual communications; fashion advertising and promotion; fashion photography; and beauty and fashion journalism. The milestone is open to students in Newhouse or in VPA’s fashion design program.
For more information, contact Carla Lloyd at (315) 443-2305 or firstname.lastname@example.org.