Maxwell’s advisory board has a vital role in guiding the School’s efforts in diversity, equity and inclusion. At a recent Maxwell School Advisory Board meeting, member Mary Daly G’91, G’94 posed a question—or perhaps it was a challenge. As she…
Second Annual Body Image Symposium Saturday, Feb. 26
Wrap up National Eating Disorder Awareness Week by attending the Second Annual Body Image Symposium on Saturday, Feb. 26, from 3-6 p.m. in Hergenhan Auditorium in Newhouse 3. The event will feature keynote speaker Michelle Allison, “The Fat Nutritionist,” and along with various workshops through out the day about healthy body image.
Allison, a nutritionist, runs the website www.fatnutritionist.com. There she gives advice on how to have a healthy relationship with food and how to embrace your body at any size. Other featured workshops and presenters include:
• Jill Ouikahilo—“What Do You See?” A Conversation about Healthy Body Image
• Brad Gorham—“Why You Can’t Read Cosmo Anymore”
• Prof. Harriet Brown—“Fatphobia: The Final Frontier”
• Prof. Jane Uzacategui—“Eating for Health”
• OrangeWrap—“Big Fat Lies,” The Media and Body Image
• Prof. Tula Goenka—“Look Now: Facing Breast Cancer”
• Bonnie Shoultz—guided meditation
• panel discussion about body image and eating disorders
The symposium is presented by OrangeWrap, Panhellenic Council, SASSE, NEPA and the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. The event is free and registration is required. To register, visit http://bodyimage.syr.edu/.
Contact: Darya Rotblat