More than 5,000 new students and their families were welcomed to campus during New Student Convocation ceremonies held on Aug. 22, 2019.
SU students serve as Balancing the Books tutors
Balancing the Books, a collaboration between Syracuse University’s Mary Ann Shaw Center for Public and Community Service, the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, and the Syracuse City School District, is a service learning program geared toward tutoring local middle and high school students in the Syracuse area.
The tutoring program focuses on teaching students about the basics of financial literacy, which includes topics such as interest, credit cards, checks, debt, and the importance of dealing with all of these when they are adults. Most importantly, SU tutors are encouraged to share some of their experiences from secondary school or college life, their plans for the future, or offer advice to teach the students basics life skills and hope for a better and bright future.
The following students are serving as Balancing the Books tutors this year:
- Mary Ellen Anderson, a senior from Nashua, N.H.
- Chun Ying Chou, a junior from Changhua City, Taiwan
- Talia Coston, a junior from Spring Valley, N.Y.
- Emmanuel Curling, a senior from Passaic, N.J.
- Jia Di, a junior from Suzhou, China
- Oleksiy Fedorov, a senior from Carmel , N.Y.
- Charles Foland, a senior from Brewerton, N.Y.
- Teikesha Jackson, a senior from Far Rockaway, N.Y.
- Yena Kang, a senior from Seoul, Korea
- Sung-Yup Lee, a junior from Seoul, Korea
- Ying Yi Lin, a sophomore from Rego Park, N.Y.
- Minna Liu, a sophomore from Kendall Park, N.J.
- Adryn Maldonado, a junior from Colton, Calif.
- Cesar McFarlin, a junior from Corona, N.Y.
- Kohta Moriya, a junior from Saitama, Japan
- Suzanne Moyer, a junior from Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.
- Laura Mun, a sophomore from Central Islip, N.Y.
- Morgan Murphy, a junior from Healdsburg, Calif.
- Chan-Gyun Park, a junior from Chan Gyun Park, South Korea
- Aminata Sidibe, a master’s student from Bamako, Mali
- Ru-Hsin Yeh, a senior from New York City, N.Y.
- Kara Zimmerman, a junior from Farmington, N.Y.