For the 21st year, Syracuse University will welcome nearly 100 fifth-grade students from the Syracuse City School District’s Seymour Dual Language Academy. Called Shadow Day, this tradition for both Syracuse University and Seymour has become a day that both fifth…
Syracuse University Orientation Leaders provide smooth transition for first-year students
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are key players in Syracuse University’s signature student orientation program, Syracuse Welcome. OLs are representatives of the University who work with faculty and staff members to help new students and their families have a smooth and seamless transition into the intellectual, cultural and social climate of Syracuse University.
OLs provide essential information that will help students to become successful and well-informed members of the SU community. OLs accomplish this by planning events for first-year, transfer, and commuter students; being peer mentors during pre-orientation programs; serving as “Goon Captains” during move-in days; engaging new students in a myriad of events and activities during Syracuse Welcome; helping new students learn about SU’s history and traditions; facilitating discussions about student success in college; and designing and implementing community service initiatives with first-year students.
SU’s 2010 Orientation Leaders are:
- Shaina Abrams-Kornblum, a junior economics, Spanish, and linguistics major from St. Louis, Mo.
- Lorraine Adu-Krow, a senior political science and psychology major from Chestnut Ridge, N.Y.
- Emily Allen, a senior policy studies and English major from Smithfield, R.I.
- Firdaus Arastu, a junior psychology and anthropology major from New Hartford, N.Y.
- Michael Armour, a junior television, radio, film major from Glenshaw, Pa.
- Amanda Balch, a sophomore health and exercise science major from Sparrow Bush, N.Y.
- Forrest Ball, a junior economics and policy studies major from Naperville, Ill.
- Jonathan Barnhart, a senior political science and policy studies major from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.
- Stephen Barton, a junior international relations and economics major from Southbury, Conn.
- Kristen Beatty, a sophomore magazine journalism from Egg Harbor Township, N.J.
- Madriqueka Brooks, a junior Italian and biology major from Surprise, Ariz.
- Colleen A. Casey, a senior psychology and biology major from Livingston Manor, N.Y.
- Neal Casey, a junior supply chain management and finance major from Denville, N.J.
- Andrew Chernoff, a junior broadcast journalism and political science major from Carmel, Ind.
- Eileen Clark, a sophomore public relations major from West Des Moines, Iowa
- Darren Cole, a senior policy studies and psychology major from Scarsdale, N.Y.
- Justin M. Cole, a senior policy studies, economics, and political science major from Watertown, N.Y.
- Caitlin M. Cronin, a junior international relations and geography major from The Woodlands, Texas
- Maureen Finn, a sophomore television, radio, film major from Southington, Conn.
- Meaghan E. Fitzpatrick, a junior biochemistry major from Framingham, Mass.
- Nicholas Garritano, a junior industrial design major from Rochester, N.Y.
- Michael Goodfriend, a sophomore biomedical engineering major from Frederick, Md.
- Kevin Hirst, a senior television, radio, film and marketing management major from Erie, Pa.
- Katherine G. Hoole, a sophomore policy studies major from Niskayuna, N.Y.
- Aaron J. Hudson, a senior information management & technology major from Cleveland, Ohio
- Jessie Jolles, a senior public relations major from Great Falls, Va.
- Mekaela Kaplan, a sophomore child/family studies major from Waynesboro, Va.
- Alexandra Knapp, a sophomore health and exercise science major from Fair Lawn, N.J
- Katherine Lewinski, a senior international relations and policy studies major from Cumberland, R.I.
- Alexis Lian, a senior political science and policy studies major from Elmira, N.Y.
- Emily A. Maher, a junior broadcast journalism major from Pawtucket, R.I.
- Alaina Mallette, a sophomore modern foreign language major from Watertown, N.Y.
- Andrea Rosko, a senior international relations/Middle Eastern studies major from Scotch Plains, N.J.
- Elizabeth Rynes, a junior policy studies and biology major from Norton, Ohio
- Lucia Schepps, a junior public relations major from Medfield, Mass.
- Madison Schmakel, a senior magazine journalism major from Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Ankit Sethi, a junior international relations and economics major from Springfield, Va.
- Amanda Slaybaugh, a senior policy studies and political science major from Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Paul A. Stanley, a senior marketing management and public relations major from Niskayuna, N.Y.
- Claire Stumbras, a senior policy studies and public relations major from Minneapolis, Minn.
- Julia Terruso, a senior newspaper journalism major from Wynnewood, Pa.
- Valerie Valle, a junior chemistry and mathematics major from San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Edward Winston, a senior communications design major from South Walpole, Mass.
- Shirley Wong, a senior entrepreneurship and supply chain management major from New York, N.Y.