What catches your eye on the Syracuse University campus—a beautiful sunset over campus, a cool class project or time spent on the Shaw Quad? Take a photo and share it with us. We select photos from a variety of sources….
Introducing SUmail, SU’s new student e-mail system
Introducing SUmail, SU’s new student e-mail systemApril 21, 2009SU News ServicesSUnews@syr.edu
Following months of development, preparation and testing, Information Technology and Services (ITS) has announced the availability of SUmail, the new student e-mail system at Syracuse University. SUmail will replace the aging and less-capable MyMail system. SUmail is managed by ITS and utilizes Microsoft’s Outlook Live e-mail service.
“There are currently more than 6 million student mailboxes in Outlook Live from hundreds of colleges and universities across the country and around the world,” says Christopher Sedore, SU vice president for information technology and chief information officer. “Right now, at least three other schools in New York state-St. John’s University, Monroe Community College and Suffolk Community College-are joining the University of Pennsylvania, Ball State University and the University of Missouri, to name a few, and are transitioning their students to Outlook Live.”
Outlook Live provides students several powerful and convenient features, including:
- the continued use of their existing official SU e-mail address (NetId@syr.edu);
- 10 GB of e-mail storage space (200 times more than MyMail);
- the ability to send and receive attachments up to 20mb in size (twice as large as MyMail);
- access to e-mail using a standard Web browser on any computer with an Internet connection, as well as many third-party e-mail clients, such as Microsoft Outlook, Entourage and Mobile Phones;
- searchable shared Syracuse University student e-mail address list;
- customizable user interface, with shared calendar and contacts, and folders to organize e-mail;
- message redirection and tracking;
- spam filtering and phishing protection;
- retention of e-mail address after graduation; and
- no third-party banner ads for active students.
Registered SUmail users will be able to take advantage of other Windows Live services at no cost, including Office Live Workspaces, Windows Live SkyDrive, Windows Live Spaces, Microsoft SharedView beta, Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Alerts, and Microsoft’s support for all these services.