Some of the earliest memories of joining the Orange family begin the day new students move onto campus. During Syracuse Welcome 2021, faculty and staff are invited to join the Orientation Leaders, Goon Squad and the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs (FYTP) in continuing the kick-off tradition of greeting and moving new students into their residence halls. A variety of volunteer times…
Newhouse School announces finalists in second annual Mirror Awards competition
Newhouse School announces finalists in second annual Mirror Awards competitionApril 15, 2008Wendy S. Loughlinwsloughl@syr.edu
Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications today announced 22 finalists in five categories in the second annual Mirror Awards competition honoring excellence in media industry reporting. The competition drew more than 100 entries. The media’s top writers, readers and leaders will gather June 23 at 11:45 a.m. at the Rainbow Room, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York City, to fete the winners.
Finalists, chosen by a group of journalists and journalism educators, are:
Best Single Article
- Rachel Smolkin, “Justice Delayed,” American Journalism Review
- Ken Auletta, href=”http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/07/02/070702fa_fact_auletta”>”Promises, Promises,” The New Yorker
- Emily Nussbaum, “Say Everything,” New York Magazine
- Evgenia Peretz, href=”http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/10/gore200710″>”Going After Gore,” Vanity Fair
- Michael Wolff, href=”http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/09/wolff200709″>”Murdoch’s Private Game,” Vanity Fair
- Joe Strupp, “GettingWired: New Image for AP,” Editor & Publisher
- Aaron Barnhart, href=”http://www.kansascity.com/221/story/569966.html”>”AlJazeera English: The News You Won’t See,” Kansas City Star
- David Folkenflik, href=”http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15430924″>”Seizures Hurt Memory, Ex-‘Times’ ReporterSays,” National Public Radio
- Jeff Coplon, href=”http://nymag.com/news/features/40647/”>”How Race is Lived in America,” New York Magazine
- Richard Siklos, href=”http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/business/yourmoney/13murdoch.html”>”Tilting at a Digital Future,” The New York Times
- DavidCarr, The New York Times
- DanKennedy, freelancer, for The Guardian
- JoeNocera, The New York Times
- Rob Owen, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- href=”http://www.wired.com/commentary/games”>Clive Thompson,freelancer, for Wired
- Lowell Bergman, href=”http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/newswar/part1/”>”NewsWar: Secrets, Sources & Spin and the Future of Networks,” “Frontline”(PBS)
- Brian Ross and Vic Walter, “href=”http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/09/to-catch-a-pred.html”>ToCatch A Predator: A Sting Gone Bad,” “20/20” (ABC News)
- Sarah Ellison, Matthew Karnitschnig, Susan Pulliam, Dennis K.Berman, Susan Warren, Martin Peers, Steve Stecklow, Aaron O. Patrick and AndrewHiggins, “The Battle for Dow Jones: A Newspaper Covers Itself,” TheWall Street Journal (four pieces)
- American Journalism Review
- href=”http://www.broadcastingcable.com/index.asp?layout=roadblock&sid=320736767&target=index%2Easp%3F”>Broadcasting& Cable
- TheNew York Times: Monday Media section
- TheSeattle Times: The Democracy Papers
In addition, journalist Tim Russert will receive the Fred Dressler Lifetime Achievement Award, and CNN/YouTube will receive the i-3 award for impact, innovation and influence.
The Mirror Awards, established by the Newhouse School in 2006, honor the reporters, editors and teams of writers who hold a mirror to their own industry for the public’s benefit. Honorees are recognized for news judgment and command of craft in reporting, analysis and commentary on developments in the media industry and its role in our economy, culture and democracy.
For information about sponsorship levels, table sales and individual tickets, contact Marianne Carey Hayes at (212) 245-6570 ext. 16.