We want to know how you experience Syracuse University. Take a photo and share it with us. We select photos from a variety of sources. Submit photos of your University experience by filling out a submission form or sending it…
SU’s ‘Green Universe City’ website launches to promote sustainability information, innovation
SU’s ‘Green Universe City’ website launches to promote sustainability information, innovation February 14, 2008Sara Millersemortim@syr.edu
In 2007, Syracuse University Chancellor and President Nancy Cantor signed the Presidents’ Climate Commitment, making SU one of the largest private universities committed to climate neutrality and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and further signifying the University’s long-term dedication to creating a more sustainable community, both on and off campus. To promote the many components of the University’s sustainable practices and innovations that are part of Scholarship in Action, including the many ways individuals can contribute toward reducing the University’s carbon footprint, a new website, “SU Green Universe City,” has launched at http://greenuniversecity.syr.edu.
The University’s Sustainability Division, part of the Office of Energy and Computing Management and headed by Chief Sustainability Officer Steve Lloyd, redesigned the site from its previous online presence to provide a more comprehensive resource — inclusive of all campus sustainability efforts — for the SU community and visitors.
Among the features:
- Presidents’ Climate Commitment (PCC): information on the action and assessment under way at SU to meet the requirements of the PCC;
- What Can I Do?: factoids, outside links and additional information on the small changes that can make a difference in working toward a more sustainable future;
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED): information about SU’s efforts in working toward various LEED certifications in sustainable green building and development practices;
- Calendar/Events: a listing of campus and regional events, focused on improving the state of the environment; and
- Vault: an archive of news releases and media clips about the various green initiatives involving SU in recent years.
The site will be updated continuously with news and event information. “This site was created to encompass all of the campus’ sustainability efforts, not only from our division within Energy and Computing Management,” says Lloyd.
For comments or questions about the site, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.