Official launch of The Campaign for Syracuse University is Nov. 2; daylong schedule of public, private events and interactive kickoff celebration planned
Official launch of The Campaign for Syracuse University is Nov. 2; daylong schedule of public, private events and interactive kickoff celebration plannedOctober 30, 2007Jaime Winne Alvarezjlwinne@syr.edu
The Campaign for Syracuse University, the most ambitious capital campaign in the institution’s history with an anticipated goal of $1 billion, will have its official public launch on Friday, Nov. 2, with a daylong schedule of activities, including the campaign kickoff celebration from 5-6:30 p.m. in the Ann and Alfred R. Goldstein Auditorium in the Hildegarde and J. Myer Schine Student Center. Nov. 2 also marks the first-ever gathering of the campaign’s entire volunteer leadership on the SU campus.
As a precursor to the Nov. 2 launch, all school and college Boards of Visitors will hold meetings and dinners during the afternoon and evening hours of Thursday, Nov. 1. On Friday, Nov. 2, Boards of Visitors and SU trustees will hold meetings throughout the morning.
Beginning at 1:30 p.m., “Insights Conversations” will be held on a variety of topics intended to showcase the University’s vision of Scholarship in Action while drawing upon its community of experts. Pre-registration is required for all conversations, and seating is limited. For complete descriptions of the conversations and to register, visit http://insights.syr.edu.
The official campaign kickoff event will begin at 5 p.m. in Goldstein Auditorium. While the kickoff celebration is open to all SU students, faculty, staff and alumni, those who plan on attending should R.S.V.P. via the website http://insights.syr.edu.
An interactive ceremony, the kickoff celebration will include recognition of volunteer leadership and significant campaign gifts, an announcement of the campaign status and goal, and video presentations on groundbreaking achievements and activities that have taken place throughout the University’s history. The kickoff celebration will be hosted by campaign co-chairs University Trustees Melanie Gray L’81, Deryck A. Palmer ’78 and Howie G. Phanstiel ’70, G’71, and will feature remarks from Chancellor and President Nancy Cantor and Board of Trustees Chairman John A. Couri ’63.
An invitation-only dinner at the Landmark Theatre in downtown Syracuse will conclude the daylong campaign launch.
The Campaign for Syracuse University will provide overall resources and support to advance SU’s vision of Scholarship in Action. It focuses on five key target areas:
- Student Access and Support to significantly increase the number of scholarships and fellowships in endowed and current-use funds to attract students of merit from all walks of life who demonstrate financial need;
- Faculty Excellence to endow deanships, chairs and professorships, and to attract and retain world-class scholars and provide funds for professional development activities;
- Cross-Connections to advance interdisciplinary teaching, research and community engagement initiatives, particularly in the areas of technology and science, social policy and community and economic development, the public humanities, public communications and the arts;
- Building Futures to enhance teaching and research facilities and provide state-of-the-art technology — on campus, at regional centers in New York City, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., and at SU’s study centers abroad; and
- Annual Support gifts to the Fund for Syracuse, including gifts to Deans’ Discretionary Funds in each of the schools and colleges, to provide flexible resources that can be used where they are needed most.
For more information on The Campaign for Syracuse University, visit http://campaign.syr.edu. The website goes live on Friday, Nov. 2.