What catches your eye on the Syracuse University campus—a beautiful sunset over campus, a cool class project or time spent on the Shaw Quad? Take a photo and share it with us. We select photos from a variety of sources….
University names 2007-08 orientation leaders, mentor orientation leaders
University names 2007-08 orientation leaders, mentor orientation leaders March 08, 2007Matthew R. Snydermrsnyder@syr.edu
Each summer, Syracuse University looks to a group of students to represent the University by working with new students and their families to answer questions, provide information, offer support and share first-hand experiences as college students. The orientation leader program is part of Syracuse Welcome 2007: A Slice of SU Life, the University’s signature new-student orientation program. This year, 26 students have been selected as 2007-08 orientation leaders and will be part of the team that also includes nine mentor orientation leaders who will provide yearlong leadership to SU’s effort to revitalize its class councils, civic engagement initiatives and other programming for students. Syracuse Welcome 2007 will begin Aug. 23.
The 2007-08 orientation leaders team is made up of eight males, 18 females, 11 returning orientation leaders, two transfer students and one international student. They represent six colleges and 30 majors at SU. In 2005, there were 42 applicants for the 26 orientation leader positions; this year, there were 76 applicants for the same number of positions.
The 2007 orientation leaders are:
- Jana-Lise Barnello, a junior broadcast journalism major
- Sara Covino, a junior French/policy studies major
- Roslyn Esperon, a senior art history/English and textual studies major
- Sonya Hirsch, a senior music/biology major
- Nicola Jones, a junior English and textual studies/television-radio-film major
- Gregory Klotz, a first-year management studies/public relations major
- Sarah Leahy, a senior marketing/advertising major
- Greg Lessens, a first-year broadcast journalism major
- Steven Neinstedt, a junior psychology/marketing management major
- Brianne Ryer, a junior social work/psychology major
- Kelly Schuur, a junior international relations major
- Lawrence Seivert, a first-year business major
- Jessica Shoffel, a junior magazine journalism major
- Annu Thumbukal, a first-year biology/pre-med major
- Amanda Torres, a senior entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises major
- Luis Torrens, a sophomore history major
- Cheng-Mou Wu, a first-year finance/accounting major
The 2007 mentor orientation leaders are:
- Katherine Chillscyzn, a junior child and family studies major
- Sarah Dane, a junior policy studies/sociology/public communications major
- Kristine Delgado, a junior Spanish/public relations major
- Jennifer Feden, a senior policy studies/television-radio-film major
- Hannah Fessler, a junior graphic arts/Spanish major
- Kayleigh Minicozzi, a junior newspaper/religion major
- Brian Spendley, a sophomore biomedical engineering major
- Leland Strott, a sophomore magazine journalism major
The Office of Orientation and Transitions Services (OTS) hosts SU’s award-winning new-student orientation programs, Syracuse Welcome and Syracuse Winter Welcome: A Slice of SU Life, and coordinates programs and leadership initiatives geared toward easing the transition of new students into the University community. OTS Director Mariana Lebron is one of 10 national recipients of the Center for the First Year Experience’s 2007 Outstanding First-Year Student Advocate Award. For complete information on Syracuse Welcome 2007, visit http://orientation.syr.edu/suwelcome07.