We want to know how you experience Syracuse University. It could be an amazing night view of campus, a cool class project or a beautiful day on the Einhorn Family Walk. Take a photo and share it with us. We…
University well-represented at annual SPC awards event
University well-represented at annual SPC awards eventMay 25, 2005Matthew R. Snydermrsnyder@syr.edu
The Office of University Communications and WAER took home 13 honors, and broadcast journalism and economics major Dan Bumpus was presented with a $750 scholarship at the Syracuse Press Club’s 27th Annual Professional Recognition Awards and Scholarship Dinner May 14.
Syracuse University’s inaugural-year Web site (http://soulofsyracuse.syr.edu/) was named Best Institutional/Promotional Web Site. Newhouse Network, the Newhouse School’s alumni newsletter, won Special Mention in the Newsletter category.
Syracuse University Magazine won recognition for:
- Best Art Illustration, for artwork by Michael Gibbs accompanying the Fall 2004 story “Information Central,” on the SU Library;
- Special Mention in the Art Illustration category, for artwork by Victor Juharz accompanying the Fall 2004 story “Nasty or Normal?” on negative presidential campaigning;
- Special Mention in the Special Interest News Feature category, for the “Nasty or Normal?” story by Richard Benedetto ’65, G’71, HON’92;
- Best Special Interest Human Interest Feature, for Margaret Costello’s Spring 2004 story “Worldview,” on students interning abroad;
- Special Mention in the Special Interest Human Interest Feature category, for Amy Speach Shires’ Spring 2004 story “Visionary Achievements,” recapping the accomplishments of Chancellor Kenneth A. Shaw;
- Special Mention in the Special Interest Column category, for Jay Cox’ Fall 2004 story “Awash in Books”;
- Best Special Interest Sports Story, for Scott Pitoniak’s Winter 2004-05 story “Model Athlete,” profiling Donovan McNabb ’99;
- Special Mention in the Special Interest Sports Story category, for David Marc’s Spring 2004 story “Big East: The Sequel”; and
- Special Mention in the Portrait category for a Spring 2004 photo of School of Information Studies professor Abby Goodrum by Schmitt Shoots!!
WAER won Best Radio Sports Show for its “SU Basketball Preview Show” and Best Radio Public Affairs Program for its report “Local TV Election Coverage.”
Scholarship recipient Bumpus has just completed his sophomore year. He has been involved with WAER and HillTV and was a sports intern at WIXT-TV (Channel 9) in Syracuse. He is a dean’s list student and a Chancellor’s Scholar. Bumpus aspires to be a reporter and play-by-play announcer for ESPN. The Syracuse Press Club each year awards scholarships to two deserving college students studying journalism.