Martin De Vita, Ph.D. candidate in psychology, received the Federation of Associations in Behavioral and Brain Sciences (FABBS) Doctoral Dissertation Research Excellence Award for his study on the pain-relieving effects of cannabidiol (CBD) in humans. De Vita was one of…
Student Affairs staff honored at SUIQ reception
Student Affairs staff honored at SUIQ receptionMay 20, 2003Michele M. Jachimmmjachim@syr.edu
The recipients of the 2003 Division of Student Affairs Senior Vice President’s Awards were announced April 30 at the Division of Student Affairs SUIQ Spring Reception, which was held at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center. Chancellor Kenneth A. Shaw and Senior Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs Barry L. Wells presided over the awards ceremony.
The Division of Student Affairs Senior Vice President’s Awards were developed to recognize the professional excellence of Student Affairs staff and the Division’s active support and personification of SU’s five core values and the principles of SUIQ. The Collaborations Award, in its second year of existence, recognizes an outstanding contributor to the Division for collaboration and cooperation.
“These awards present an opportunity for the Division of Student Affairs to recognize the outstanding innovations and efforts of our colleagues while inspiring all of us to strive for excellence and quality in the work we do,” says Wells.
The award recipients include:
- “Students First” Award for Excellence: David Perez, Haven Hall residence director and David Rosch, coordinator for leadership and DellPlain Hall residence director, both of the Office of Residence Life.
- Award for Quality: Terra Peckskamp, assistant director of the Office of Residence Life.
- Award for Caring: Jim Byrne, counselor, Substance Abuse Prevention and Health Enhancement (S.A.P.H.E.) Office and Sarah Young, Sadler Hall residence director, Office of Residence Life.
- Award for Diversity: Sev-Ira Brown, assistant director for operations in the Department of Recreation Services.
- Award for Innovation: Joshua McIntosh, associate director for administration and assessment in the Office of Greek Life and Experiential Learning.
- Award for Professional Development: Mary Jo Custer, director of student affairs and associate to the senior vice president for student affairs.
- Award for Assessment: The Department of Recreation Services’ Team, including Nadine Essel, assistant director for intramurals; Dave Sargalski, assistant director for facilities, wellness and aquatics; and Mitch Gartenberg, director.
- Award for Outstanding Graduate Employee: Rommel Abad, graduate assistant in the Office of Greek Life and Experiential Learning.
- Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Student Employee: Gaynor Hall, student staff member in the Office of Residence Life.
- Collaborations Award: Andrew “Rusty” Tassini, maintenance manager, Housing and Food Services. Now in its second year, this award recognizes an individual who has contributed significantly to and collaborated with the Division of Student Affairs and is committed to a philosophy of student development.
Award recipients were selected by a committee comprised of staff members from each of the major functional areas of the Division of Student Affairs; all Student Affairs staff and full-time graduate and undergraduate students employed by the Division were eligible for nomination and recognition.