The next “ADA Live!” podcast on Wednesday, March 3, will feature Curt Decker, founder and executive director of the National Disability Rights Network (NDRN). Decker will discuss the history of the Protection and Advocacy (P&A) System, some important legislation they…
Chancellor Appoints Members of Vice Chancellor and Provost Search Committee
Syracuse University Chancellor and President Kent Syverud today announced the members of the search committee for the University’s new Vice Chancellor and Provost.
The Vice Chancellor and Provost is Syracuse University’s chief academic officer and is responsible for all aspects of the academic mission.
“Syracuse University is about to launch our shared vision in the Academic Strategic Plan,” Chancellor Syverud says. “The University’s next Vice Chancellor and Provost will guide the important, transformative work to implement the priorities laid out in the strategic plan. The new Provost will be a skilled leader to oversee the academic life of this University, continuing its tradition of academic excellence and prioritizing students as our primary focus.”
The committee, which is composed of faculty, staff and student representatives and members of the Board of Trustees, was ratified by the University Senate yesterday at its April meeting. The search committee members are:
- Jean-Francois Bedard, associate professor, School of Architecture
- Tej Bhatia, professor of linguistics, College of Arts and Sciences
- Lorraine Branham, professor and dean, Newhouse School of Public Communications
- Jim Breuer, University Trustee and Chair of the Trustee Academic Affairs Committee
- Keith Bybee, Paul E. and Hon. Joanne F. Alper ’72 Judiciary Studies Professor, College of Law
- Charles Driscoll, University Professor, College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Alejandro Garcia, professor of social work, Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics
- Gwenn Judge, director of budget and planning
- Ian MacInnes, associate professor, School of Information Studies
- M. Cristina Marchetti, William R. Kenan Professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Patricia Mautino, University Trustee and member of the Trustee Academic Affairs Committee
- Patrick Neary, graduate student; outgoing president of the Graduate Student Organization
- Aysha A. Seedat, undergraduate student; president-elect of the Student Association
The Vice Chancellor and Provost oversees a range of academic affairs, from recruitment of students to the administration of the schools and colleges and other units that are central to the academic life of the University. The Provost collaborates with the Chancellor in setting academic priorities and provides leadership for the school and college deans and their faculties.
Elizabeth D. Liddy is the Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost. She was appointed to the position in January by Chancellor Syverud, after Eric F. Spina announced the conclusion of his tenure in December. Spina was appointed a Trustee Professor by the Board of Trustees in December. A campus community event celebrating his tenure and achievements as Vice Chancellor and Provost will take place next Friday, April 24, at 4 p.m. in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium at Newhouse 3.