A new study away opportunity for student-athletes will be offered this year as a Maymester course in Los Angeles. The course, Networking and the Art of the Pitch, was developed by Rachel Dubrofsky, chair of communication and rhetorical studies (CRS)…
Committee to Identify Next Falk College Dean Appointed
Vice Chancellor, Provost and Chief Academic Officer Gretchen Ritter today announced the members of the search committee charged with identifying the next dean of the Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.
“Falk College has undergone tremendous growth and success over the last several years, thanks to the leadership of Dean Diane Murphy,” Provost Ritter says. “The college is well-positioned to continue on that path, particularly as we move forward with a joint Newhouse School-Falk College esports degree, making the deanship an attractive opportunity for the right leader. I thank the members of the search committee and look forward to meeting the slate of candidates they put forward.”
Falk College faculty members Mary Graham, professor of sport management and faculty athletic representative, and Katherine McDonald, associate dean of research and professor of public health, are committee co-chairs. Other members are the following:
- Lynn Brann, associate professor and chair, exercise science/nutrition and food studies, Falk College
- Kelly Chandler-Olcott, interim dean, School of Education
- Kristen Davis, graduate student, Falk College
- Brooks Gump, Falk Family Endowed Professor of Public Health, Falk College
- Chandice Haste-Jackson, associate dean of student services and associate teaching professor, human development and family science, Falk College
- Kevin Heffernan, associate professor, exercise science, Falk College
- Eunjoo Jung, associate professor, human development and family science, Falk College
- Larry Kramer ’72, Syracuse University Trustee
- Mariana Isabel Perez Lugo, undergraduate student, Falk College
- Gina Pauline, associate professor, sport management, Falk College
- Tyler Sliker, clinic director, marriage and family therapy, Falk College
- Matt Spitzmueller, associate professor, social work, Falk College
- Mike Tirico ’88, Syracuse University Trustee
- Peter Vanable, associate provost for graduate studies and dean of the Graduate School
- Rick Welsh, Falk Family Endowed Professor of Food Studies, Falk College
Provost Ritter has also announced plans to convene a task force to explore the establishment of a School of Sport Management within the Falk College, elevating what is currently a department. Established in 2005, sport management has consistently attracted strong-caliber students and prepared them for careers in the industry while benefiting from interprofessional connections with other Falk programs, including nutrition and health and exercise science. The department also offers a degree in sport analytics, which was one of the first bachelor’s degrees of its kind when it launched in 2017. More information about the task force will be available soon.
The search firm WittKieffer will assist the committee in all aspects of recruitment and selection. Nominations may be sent to FalkCollegeDean@wittkieffer.com.