Hank Mullins, a faculty member for nearly 30 years in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences (A&S), passed away in July at age 69. Mullins grew up in the Hudson Valley village…
Department of Public Safety Transitions to New Safety App
As part of its ongoing commitment to campus safety, the Department of Public Safety (DPS) is transitioning to Rave Guardian, a free mobile app that turns any smartphone into a personal safety device. Rave Guardian will replace the LiveSafe app, which will no longer be available to Syracuse University users beginning Friday, Feb. 26.
Rave Guardian offers all of the same features that users have grown accustomed to, including reporting tips, having a friend or family member watch them safely walk across campus, quickly connecting with DPS or 911 and important campus links and phone numbers.
Why Rave Guardian?
Rave Guardian gives users access to the same features and additionally offers seamless integration with the campus Orange Alert system. The Rave Guardian app will be an additional avenue for the campus community to get timely notices from DPS. Integration with the alert system will allow for new features to be introduced in the coming months.
Rave Guardian does not require the user to create an account. To register, users will only need to verify their device’s phone number.
What are the features available in the Rave Guardian App?
- Submit Tips: See something, say something. The app allows users to anonymously text suspicious activity to DPS, including photos.
- Safe Walk (Safety Timer): If a user feels unsafe while walking, they can set a timer and indicate their current location and then set their destination and the time they should arrive. In the event they do not make it there and de-active the timer, Guardians (friends or family they designate) will be immediately alerted.
- Important Numbers: Users can access important phone numbers for campus resources quickly and easily right from the app.
- Content and Resources: Users have easy access to links to safety-related resources on campus.
- Call 911 or DPS: In an emergency, on-campus users can call DPS and off-campus users can call 911 with the tap of a button.
Will DPS be able to track users?
No. DPS does not have the ability to track or monitor the location of the app users. Any voluntary location-sharing will only be available during that specific call or chat session.
“The safety of our students and staff is our top priority at Syracuse University,” says DPS Chief Bobby Maldonado. “The Rave Guardian app allows each one of our campus members to be proactive about their safety and help keep themselves, as well as their friends, safer. We encourage everyone to download and register with the Rave Guardian app.”
Rave Guardian is a product of Rave Mobile Safety, the most trusted safety software partner, connecting millions to those they trust to protect them, by providing safety officials with innovative tools to prepare better, respond faster, and communicate more effectively during emergencies. Rave protects more than 1,200 colleges and universities across the U.S.