Over the summer, Information Technology Services (ITS) added applications and features to the Office 365 suite available to active Syracuse University students, faculty and staff. This provides tools that enable enhanced collaboration and streamlined scheduling and calendaring among members of…
Your Campus Address Book Is about to Get Bigger
In preparation for system enhancements later this summer, and to enable enhanced collaboration among members of the University community, the Office 365 email system for students and alumni, and the Exchange email system for faculty and staff, will be set up in a “hybrid” configuration. Starting Monday, June 11, the previously separate global address lists for each system will begin to work together as one global address list (GAL).
- Active students, faculty and staff will be able to see each other in the global address list. This will add to the number of people that are visible, and make it easier to find more email addresses directly from Outlook, mobile devices and Outlook Web Access (OWA; exchange.syr.edu).
- Sub-address lists will enable viewing of “All Students” and “All Faculty/Staff” separately.
- Titles are being added. Student accounts each will have the title “Student,” and faculty and staff titles will be populated in Office 365, so when viewing the global address list one will be able to delineate quickly between faculty and staff with business titles, and student accounts.
- Calendaring and scheduling will be easier. Using their Exchange calendars, faculty and staff members will be able to see whether active students who use their Office 365 calendars are free or busy when creating meeting requests. Similarly, students using their Office 365 calendars will be able to see when faculty and staff who use their Exchange calendars are free or busy. NOTE: Free/busy lookup refers to the ability to see someone else’s availability, or free time, as indicated on their calendar, but does not expose any details of their appointments whatsoever. If a meeting organizer uses free/busy lookup when scheduling a meeting, they are shown possible times another person is available, based on that person’s free time on their calendar.
- Alumni accounts will continue to be not visible in the global address list. Alumni with mailboxes will not see anyone in their global address list, and will not be able to free/busy lookup other members of our population.
For more information
Visit Answers.syr.edu for more details about Email Address Lists for Faculty/Staff.
If you need help: