Applicants Sought for Young Research Fellows Program
The pilot Syracuse University Center for Fellowship and Scholarship Advising (CFSA) Young Research Fellows Program is seeking applications from current first- and second-year undergraduate students with demonstrated potential for and commitment to research and/or creative inquiry.
The Young Research Fellows will have access to research funding of up to $4,000 over two years to support research and creative activity during the summer and/or academic year. The program will encourage students to think broadly about opportunities for independent research and creative work over the course of their academic careers and will facilitate group mentoring and training for the interdisciplinary cohort.
The Young Research Fellows will be expected to serve as student ambassadors to promote research and creative inquiry on campus during their two-year term. Faculty mentors must approve proposals for the use of funding and sign off on regular progress reports.
The program is open to students of all disciplines, and four students will be selected for the pilot two-year program, 2017-19. To be eligible, applicants must meet the following criteria:
• must be a first- or second-year student;
• have a minimum GPA of 3.7;
• must have endorsement of a faculty member willing to serve as a mentor; and
• have a demonstrated commitment to research and/or creative inquiry.
Students must complete the online application, including:
• a personal statement (800 words maximum) responding to the prompt “Describe your research and/or plans for creative projects and your long-term goals. How have your background, experiences, and academic training contributed to these interests and goals?”;
• a list of work, campus activities and volunteer experiences;
• a list of honors and awards;
• an unofficial transcript; and
• a brief nomination from a faculty mentor (completed through online form).
The application can be found online here. Applications are due Tuesday, April 18.
Questions may be directed to Jolynn Parker at 315.443.2759 or email@example.com or Kate Hanson at 315.443.2759 or firstname.lastname@example.org.