Editor in chief of 360 magazine Molly Bolan ’19 and the magazine staff had a special idea for the latest edition of their magazine. They wanted to focus the entire edition on the history and culture of indigenous people and…
Construction Update: June 20
Monday, June 20, 2016
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
Last Wednesday, the Division of Campus Planning, Design and Construction hosted the first of five summer construction information sessions. My colleagues Mark Hance and James Blum updated attendees on summer construction efforts. If you were unable to attend the meeting, please click here to view the information session in its entirety.
I recognize you may not have time to watch the whole video, so I’ve provided a quick update on our progress below:
- Classroom and Auditorium Improvements: Classroom technology improvements are proceeding on schedule in Lyman Hall, Watson Auditorium, 032 Eggers and other locations.
- Crouse College Bell Tower Improvements: In conjunction with periodic maintenance and structural inspection, four bells will be added to the Crouse College Bell Tower. This addition will greatly expand the musical range of the bells.
- DellPlain, Haven and Flint Hall Renovations: Demolition and environmental remediation are wrapping up this week, and construction for improvements to student rooms and restrooms will get underway in the coming days.
- Falk College Teaching Kitchen Construction: Construction of the Falk College’s new teaching kitchens is now underway.
- Grant Auditorium Elevator Replacement: This project is progressing on schedule with a completion date in early August. Materials and equipment have arrived on campus and work will commence this week.
- HB Crouse Elevator Replacement: Work has started to replace the elevator and add a new stop to provide accessible service to the Gifford Auditorium level for the first time.
- Link Hall Accessible Entry: An accessible entry on the south side of Link Hall will be constructed this summer following completion of the roof replacement. A ramp will be located off College Place and will augment accessible access via Slocum Hall and the Quad 2 Parking Lot.
- Quad Improvement Project: Fencing around the Quad is now up. The installation of tent tie-downs, power, data and irrigation will commence next week. Over the next three weeks, concrete trucks will make periodic stops at the Quad as the tent bases are constructed.
- Roof Replacements: With the good weather, our roof replacements across campus are making great progress: roof replacement at Schine Student Center Dining Wing is complete; Newhouse 2 and Falk College roofs are nearing completion; roof replacements at Heroy Geology, Link Hall and Manley Football Wing are now underway; and the Flanagan Gym roof replacement will begin next week.
- Sims Hall Entry Stairs: Following completion of the steam work next to Sims Hall, the project to replace the entry stairs will commence. This project will be phased entry by entry, and will continue into the fall semester.
- Steam Projects: Steam line replacements in front of Sims Hall and the entry to the Quad 4 Parking Lot are nearly complete, with final restoration being completed in the next week. The work at the intersection of Waverly and Comstock avenues is well underway, and on schedule for completion in early August.
- University Place Promenade: Work is progressing as scheduled. In the Quad 2 Parking Lot area, the new driveway road base is prepared, a retaining wall has been built and electrical infrastructure improvements are nearing completion. Along the Promenade, the water main installation will be complete this week. Hardscape installation, drainage and re-grading work are now underway.
There are still four opportunities to participate in a summer construction information session. The next session is scheduled for Wednesday, June 29, at 9:30 a.m. in Lyman Auditorium. For more information, please visit SU News.
If you have any construction-related questions, comments or suggestions, please email email@example.com. For parking concerns, call Parking and Transit Services at 443-4652. And, if you have questions pertaining to accessibility, contact Aaron Hodukavich, director and ADA coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services, at 443-2377 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To track construction progress, please visit facilities.syr.edu.
Vice President & Chief Campus Facilities Officer