Chancellor Syverud Appoints Search Committee for New Director of Athletics
Syracuse University Chancellor and President Kent Syverud today announced the members of the Search Committee for the University’s new Director of Athletics and a timeline for moving forward in the search process.
University Trustee Steve Ballentine, CEO of Ballentine Capital Management, will chair the committee that is composed of student, faculty and staff representatives, and members of the Board of Trustees.
The committee, which convened and met with prospective search firms last week, will present at least two final candidates to Chancellor Syverud for his review. A new Director of Athletics, who will report to the Chancellor, is expected to be in place by the start of the 2015-16 academic year.
“This is a key moment for Syracuse University to recruit an outstanding Director of Athletics who will continue to promote core values for our student athletes and all who work at and support our University,” Chancellor Syverud says. “I have charged the Search Committee to seek an experienced leader who will continue the University’s legacy of integrity and strong academic values; respect for diversity; student-athlete welfare; competitive success across all sports; and fiscal responsibility.”
The search committee members are:
- Steve Ballentine, Chair of Search Committee, University Trustee
- Richard Burton, Falk Professor of Sport Management and Faculty Athletics Representative
- Veronica Dyer, Strength and Conditioning Coach for Olympic Sports
- James Kuhn, University Trustee and Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Robert Miron, University Trustee and Chair of the Board of Trustees’ Athletics Committee
- LaVonda Reed, Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs and Professor of Law
- Sam Rodgers, Class of 2015, David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, Football Student-Athlete
- Peter Sala, Interim Athletics Director and Managing Director, Carrier Dome
- Barry L. Wells, Special Assistant to the Chancellor
“The Search Committee has already taken the first steps in conducting a comprehensive search for the University’s new Director of Athletics,” Ballentine says. “We look forward to seeking out the best possible candidates to lead University athletics and, most importantly, guide and support our student-athletes as they come to Syracuse University to strive for excellence in academics and success in their sport.”
The University has retained the executive search firm DHR International’s Sports Practice Group leader Glenn Sugiyama and Pat Richter to consult on all aspects of the search, from profile development to recruitment and selection of an experienced candidate.
Last month, Dr. Daryl Gross concluded his tenure as Director of Athletics. He was appointed and now serves as Vice President and Special Assistant to the Chancellor and adjunct professor in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.