Work continues this summer on the Barnes Center at The Arch, with much of the structural framework of Archbold Gymnasium exposed to the outside world as construction workers carefully remove portions of the building. The work is offering a unique…
Call for programs:Third Annual Values Academy for Culturally Based Fraternities and Sororities
The third annual Values Academy conference, hosted by Syracuse University’s Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs
will take place Nov. 16-17 on the campus of Syracuse University. This one-and-a-half day event will offer specific training and education for students and higher education professionals committed to the growth, support and development of culturally based fraternities and sororities on college campuses throughout the Northeast.
We seek dynamic individuals to present on topics relevant to culturally-based fraternities and sororities. Topics of interest include:
• Hazing and illegal rites of passage
• Cultural/Student of color experience
• Remaining an active member in chapters after graduation.
• Understanding the values of culturally-based fraternities and sororities
• Building relationships between members, councils, other organizations and community
• Retention and recruitment
• Upholding scholastic standards of excellence
• Balancing membership and academics
• Understanding bonds of brotherhood/sisterhood
You do not have to be Greek or a Greek adviser. Please make sure your program submissions are in line with the following learning outcomes
Students will be able to :
• Identify illegal rites of passage and address them
• Understand and recognize the historical relevance of their organizations
• Understand their role in fostering accountability and cultural empowerment
• Gain a better appreciation for their membership
• Understand the value of appropriate matriculation to alumni/nae chapters, volunteering locally, regionally and nationally
• Understand the impact of values congruence and how it aligns with the fraternal experience
• Understand the importance of preparing current members for leadership roles and greater buy-in into the mission of the organization
Please submit all program proposals by Friday, Oct. 12, at 5 p.m. A committee will review all proposals and assess them based on the learning outcomes for the Values Academy. Presenters will be notified by late October regarding the status of their program application.
To register your program please visit syr.orgsync.com/org/valuesacademy/. Please contact Kimberly Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions.
Thank you for your commitment to higher education and culturally-based fraternities and sororities. We hope to see you in November.
Contact Person: Kimberly N. Williams
Office of Multicultural Affairs