Near Westside Multicultural Block Party on Aug. 16 celebrates neighborhood
The Near Westside Initiative (NWSI) will hold its third annual Multicultural Block Party at Skiddy Park on Thursday, Aug. 16, from 1-9 p.m. Residents and supporters of the Near West Side are invited to attend this celebration of community.
The event is sponsored by the NWSI, La Liga, the Literacy Coalition, PEACE Inc., ProLiteracy, WCNY and Jazz in the City. Last year, more than 1,200 people enjoyed the block party.
“The Near Westside Initiative and our partners are once again thrilled to host this year’s Multicultural Block Party in Skiddy Park,” says Maarten Jacobs, director of the Near Westside Initiative. “For the past two years, the block party has been the perfect end to our busy summer in the Near Westside. It is a great time to bring together the community to celebrate the great work happening in the neighborhood and to start looking ahead to more great progress in the next year.”
During this year’s celebration, children and adults will come together to enjoy live music by Jesse Pabon y La Krema and Signature Syracuse; games and entertainment; food, drinks and ice cream; and a neighborhood awards ceremony. The evening will culminate with a Jazz in the City performance featuring Alex Torres and his Latin Orchestra. The event is open for all in the community to enjoy.
The schedule for the Near Westside Multicultural Block Party:
- 1-2 p.m.—A DJ Showcase will kick off the block party
- 2-2:30 p.m.—La Casita Bomba and Plena Dancers
- 2:30-3 p.m.—Signature Syracuse
- 3:15-4 p.m.—Eve Queen, Loyalty Movement and Showtyme (all youth performers)
- 4-4:30 p.m.—Awards and Announcements
- 4:30-5 p.m.—Bike Showcase/DJ Showcase
- 5-5:30 p.m.—DJ Showcase
- 5:30-6:30 p.m.—Jesse Pabon y La Krema
- 7 p.m.—Jazz in the City featuring Alex Torres and his Latin Orchestra
For more information, contact Jacobs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 480-7678.