SU students serve as Balancing the Books tutors
Balancing the Books, a collaboration between Syracuse University’s Mary Ann Shaw Center for Public and Community Service, the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, and the Syracuse City School District, is a service learning program geared toward tutoring local middle and high school students in the Syracuse area.
The tutoring program focuses on teaching students about the basics of financial literacy, which includes topics such as interest, credit cards, checks, debt, and the importance of dealing with all of these when they are adults. Most importantly, SU tutors are encouraged to share some of their experiences from secondary school or college life, their plans for the future, or offer advice to teach the students basics life skills and hope for a better and bright future.
The following students are serving as Balancing the Books tutors this year:
- Nirmal Devarajan, a sophomore finance and advertising major;
- Bryan Endres, a senior finance major;
- Shannon Flattery, a junior accounting and finance major;
- Rachel Greene, a sophomore accounting major;
- Jennifer Lam, a sophomore management major;
- Zuoran Ma, a junior information management and technology major;
- David Maisel, a sophomore management and nutrition studies major;
- Gabriella Malfi, a senior retail and marketing management major; fro
- Jun Han Park, a sophomore finance major;
- Brenna Pereira, a sophomore management major;
- Zavira Shanaz, a senior management and finance major;
- Nicholas Soh, a junior finance and supply chain major;
- Kevin Stone, a sophomore entrepreneurship & emerging enterprises major;
- Cody Wojtanowski, a sophomore accounting & finance major;
- Michelle Wong, a senior public relations and entrepreneurship & emerging enterprises major;
- Asha Wright, a sophomore management major;
- Chongwu Zhong, a junior management major;
- Fei Fei Zhu, a sophomore accounting and finance major.