College of Visual and Performing Arts announces summer research stipend recipients
The College of Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) has announced that seven VPA faculty members have been awarded summer research stipends.
The college awards the stipends to encourage faculty to pursue external funding opportunities. Recipients will work closely with Kendall Phillips, the college’s associate dean for research and graduate studies, as well as with various offices across campus, including the Offices of Sponsored Programs, Foundation Relations and the Vice President for Research.
Recipients were chosen from a pool of applications submitted from across the college. The recipients are:
- James Abbott, Setnor School of Music, whose project focuses on making music recording and production accessible to persons with disabilities;
- Kathleen Brandt, Department of Design, whose project envisions a media-rich site for engaging in and examining collaborative, transdisciplinary design projects;
- Elizabeth Fowler, Department of Foundation, whose project examines the influence of Japanese Nationals on the development of American art and design in the late 19th and early 20th centuries;
- Cynthia Gordon, Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies, whose project examines the ways family conversations impact children’s health behaviors;
- Elizabeth Ingram, Department of Drama, whose project seeks to expand her long-running Young Actors Workshop, a drama workshop for young people with special needs;
- James Haywood Rolling, Jr., Department of Art, whose project will develop an integrated art and museum education program connecting the Syracuse city schools with SUArt Galleries and other museums and galleries; and
- Owen Shapiro, Department of Transmedia, whose project seeks to develop locally-based documentaries.
Funding for the stipends was secured through strong development activities by VPA Dean Ann Clarke. It is hoped that these funds will continue to be available as the college seeks to increase its external funding efforts.