VPA’s Interdisciplinary Research Group announces 2009-10 faculty fellows
The Interdisciplinary Research Group (IRG) in Syracuse University’s College of Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) has announced its 2009-10 fellows. The fellows, who consist of faculty from across the University, will participate in the monthly seminar “Journeys of Interdisciplinary Observation,” an interdisciplinary study of the dynamic possibilities in engagement with the notion of observation as part of scholarly, artistic, pedagogical, scientific and creative practice.
Led by Deborah Dohne, associate professor of foundation in VPA’s School of Art and Design, and Cynthia Gordon, assistant professor in VPA’s Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies, the 2009-10 IRG fellows participate in meetings structured to offer meaningful interdisciplinary feedback on the fellows’ projects and develop a proposal for either a course or a research project. An initial project stipend is made available for each IRG fellow through support from the office of Dean Ann Clarke in VPA.
The 2009-10 fellows are:
- Natasha Cooper, bibliographer for social sciences; librarian for information studies, library science, research, collections and scholarly communication, SU Library;
- Timothy Davis-Reed, assistant professor of drama, VPA;
- Jose A. da Mota Lopes, instructor of languages, literature and linguistics, College of Arts and Sciences;
- Melissa Luke, assistant professor of counseling and human services, School of Education;
- Jun Wang, research assistant professor, iSchool; and
- Jon Yoder, assistant professor, School of Architecture.
The IRG is a faculty-driven, cross-college incubator for development that spotlights a new theme each year and provides a catalyst and resources for developing creative research and/or teaching projects. The goal of the IRG is to establish a peer environment that fosters a longstanding, accumulative and noncompetitive social network. For more information about the IRG, including its activities and public events, visit http://vpa.syr.edu/index.cfm/page/irg .