Public Safety Update From Chief Tony Callisto
Dear SU campus community member,
In recent days, crimes committed against college students in off-campus neighborhoods have heightened awareness of safety issues. The SU Department of Public Safety (DPS) works closely with the Syracuse Police Department and other law enforcement agencies to enhance safety awareness and security for the neighborhoods’ residents. In response to recent events we have intensified our joint and individual crime prevention and law enforcement efforts in the area.
Today, the Syracuse Police Department announced that it is increasing patrols in the off-campus neighborhoods. In addition, DPS is spearheading a series of initiatives to be implemented immediately that is designed to enhance safety and security for members of our campus community:
- All officers on patrol are operating at heightened alert.
- We are increasing Orange Watch patrols.
- We are coordinating with staff of the SU Office of Off-Campus Student Services to implement a safety tips campaign with literature and area home visits. We aim to encourage students to take advantage of the services available to them, including the Centro bus system, with routes through the University area that are free of charge (see http://parking.syr.edu/); and DPS safety escorts and shuttle services, which enable students to avoid walking alone.
- We are expanding the capabilities of the safety escort service during overnight and early morning hours (see http://publicsafety.syr.edu/students/shuttle_u_home.html).
- We have coordinated with National Grid and the City of Syracuse to have faulty public lighting fixtures repaired in off-campus areas.
- DPS investigators have increased communication with Syracuse Police Department detectives to ensure close coordination of enhanced efforts in the off-campus area.
I and the entire DPS staff understand the need for community members to be and feel safe. We aim to achieve that goal, and we invite members of the SU community to contact us at 315-443-5476 or at http://publicsafety.syr.edu with any related questions or concerns.
Chief and Director of Public Safety