Cliff Davidson, the Thomas C. and Colleen L. Wilmot Professor of Engineering and Environmental Engineering Program Director in the College of Engineering and Computer Science, is mentioned in Syracuse.com article “Record highs outnumber lows in Upstate NY. Climate scientists aren’t surprised.”…
Grand opening celebration of SU’s COLAB Nov. 20 to offer lively mix of art, music, food
Grand opening celebration of SU’s COLAB Nov. 20 to offer lively mix of art, music, food November 13, 2008Erica Blustesblust@syr.edu
COLAB — a new interdisciplinary initiative based in Syracuse University’s College of Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) that encourages students and faculty to use their diverse skills and perspectives to solve complex, real-world problems creatively and collaboratively — will host a grand opening celebration on Thursday, Nov. 20, from 5-8 p.m. on the fourth floor of The Warehouse, 350 W. Fayette St. The celebration, which is free and open to the public, will be held in conjunction with Th3, Syracuse’s city-wide art open. Free parking is available on a first-come, first-served basis at The Warehouse West and East lots.
The celebration will feature a variety of events, including:
- viewing of COLAB’s newly designed headquarters, where many furnishings are made from repurposed or recycled materials, including tires (made into trash cans), flip-flops (made into ottomans) and Trex decking (made into modular furniture);
- exhibition of design work from a recent COLAB charrette-a short but intensive design project-held in collaboration with the Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce to develop ideas to build a new identity for the city’s downtown area that stimulates retail and restaurant development;
- exhibition of student work from the courses “Wearable Technologies,” which explores wearing computer chips on the body to provide new functionality or simply new aesthetics, and “Responsible, Sustainable Furniture and Lighting”;
- exhibition of wall installations by painting and surface pattern design students in VPA;
- “Taste of Armory,” featuring tables and food samples from Armory Square restaurants;
- performances by fire-twirler Ravin in The Warehouse East parking lot (weather permitting); and
- experimental electronica music by the Jesse Stiles 3000
COLAB offers courses, programs and events in a nontraditional atmosphere that fosters innovation and imagination. Future COLAB projects include creating a graduate program in interdisciplinary strategies and three charrettes in the Spring 2009 semester that address the themes of art, technology and not-for-profit work, respectively. COLAB will also offer courses on interactive installations and design thinking. In addition, COLAB will nurture partnerships with educational, governmental and commercial organizations and institutions.
For more information, contact Chris McCray at (315) 443-1476 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
VPA is committed to the education of cultural leaders who will engage and inspire audiences through performance, visual art, design, scholarship and commentary. The college provides the tools for self-discovery and risk-taking in an environment that thrives on critical thought and action. Learn more at http://vpa.syr.edu.