Robert Thompson, Trustee Professor and director of the Bleier Center for Televsion and Popular Cultures in the school of Newhouse, had a few words to say regarding Roseanne Barr’s racial tweets that lead to the cancellation of her ABC show,…
Winners announced in Mirror Awards Competition
Winners announced in Mirror Awards CompetitionJune 15, 2007Wendy S. Loughlinwsloughl@syr.edu
The media’s top writers, readers and leaders gathered today at W New York in New York City to honor seven winners in the first annual Mirror Awards Competition. The awards, established by Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, recognize excellence in media industry reporting. The competition drew 140 entries.
- Best Single Article: “Blogs to Riches,” Clive Thompson, New York Magazine
- Best Profile: “A Guy Named Craig,” Philip Weiss, New York Magazine
- Best Commentary: “The Media Equation,” David Carr, The New York Times
- Best Coverage of Breaking Industry News: “A Local Newspaper Endures a Stormy Backlash,” Dean Miller, Nieman Reports
- Best Subject-Related Series: “Among the Audience: A Survey of New Media,” Andreas Kluth, The Economist
EDITORS OR TEAMS OF WRITERS
- Excellence in Media Information Services: HealthNewsReview.org, University of Minnesota School of Journalism & Mass Communication
- Overall Excellence: American Journalism Review
Peter Bart, editor in chief of Variety, received the inaugural Lifetime Achievement Award at the ceremony. He was introduced by columnist and author Liz Smith. Meredith Vieira, co-anchor of the NBC morning news program “Today,” emceed the event. Luncheon committee co-chairs for the event included Rob Light, partner, Creative Artists; Judy McGrath, chairman and CEO, MTV Networks; Ron Meyer, president and COO, Universal Studios; Aaron Sorkin, writer; and Jeff Zucker, president and CEO, NBC Universal.
The event was underwritten by several corporations in the media industry, including members of the Mirror Premier Circle: Advance Publications Inc.; Conde Nast Publications; Discovery Communications Inc.; NBC Universal; Reed Business Information; Time Warner Cable; and Variety.
The Newhouse School is one of the nation’s premiere schools of mass communication, embracing virtually every known form of information dissemination. The more than 60 faculty members come primarily from the profession. Students are among the best in the nation, having secured a place in the class through a highly competitive admissions process. Upon graduation they become part of a large, loyal and highly accomplished group of alumni — individuals who are literally shaping the future of public communication across the globe.
More information about the Mirror Awards, including downloadable photographs from the luncheon, is available online at http://mirrorawards.syr.edu or by contacting Wendy Loughlin at (315) 443-2785 or firstname.lastname@example.org.