University seeks internal nominations for vice chancellor/provost
University seeks internal nominations for vice chancellor/provostOctober 26, 2006SU News ServicesSUnews@syr.edu
Syracuse University is seeking internal nominations and applications for the position of vice chancellor and provost. Faculty members with exemplary academic credentials are eligible to apply for this position. The objective is to appoint an outstanding academic leader with administrative experience who is enthusiastically committed to implementing the vision of Scholarship in Action (http://www.syr.edu/chancellor/vision/index.html) and to developing a model of collaborative leadership that will ensure the primacy and success of the academic mission at Syracuse University.
The University seeks a vice chancellor and provost who can accomplish the following:
- collaborate with the deans of the schools and colleges to translate the vision and maintain the momentum of existing Scholarship in Action initiatives, build new cross-college and inter-institutional collaborations, and engage with communities of experts beyond the campus and around the world;
- substantially increase the profile of sponsored research, teaching and engagement activities at SU;
- build a good rapport with the deans and the faculty as the chief academic officer of the University and oversee faculty roles and rewards;
- enrich collaborative relationships across cabinet areas by creating new partnerships to engage the administrative support essential to the success of the academic units and the University as a whole;
- ensure that operational support enhances the academic mission, especially in such areas as RCM budgeting and resource allocation, grants administration and contract accounting, and space planning and upgrades in partnership with the executive vice president;
- enhance collaboration with Student Affairs to assure that student success is central to the academic mission;
- be fully engaged with the Chancellor and the Division of Institutional Advancement in supporting Scholarship in Action through external fundraising, with special emphasis on corporations and foundations; and
- champion the goals of diversity and excellence throughout the University.
The search committee welcomes both nominations and self-nominations. Inquiries may be made to any member of the committee. The search committee’s website is http://provost.syr.edu/provost_search_committee.asp. Members of the search committee are:
Douglas Anderson, email@example.com, 443-1491
William Banks, firstname.lastname@example.org, 443-3678
Shobha Bhatia, email@example.com, 443-3352
Douglas Biklen, firstname.lastname@example.org, 443-4751
Mehrzad Boroujerdi, email@example.com, 443-5877
Pat Burak, firstname.lastname@example.org, 443-2457
Ann Clarke, email@example.com, 443-3700
Clarence Cross III, firstname.lastname@example.org, 443-6605
Barbara Fiese, email@example.com, 443-2354
Gina Lee-Glauser, firstname.lastname@example.org, 443-1824
Ian MacInnes (committee chair), email@example.com, 443-4101
Carlos Perez, firstname.lastname@example.org
Carrie Jefferson Smith, email@example.com, 443-5586
Applicants should send a letter of intent; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of four references to: Ian MacInnes, Chair of the Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Search Committee, School of Information Studies, 245 Hinds Hall. He can also be contacted at 443-4101 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submission is Nov. 17, with the expectation that the position will be filled in January 2007.