University offering flu shots to students, faculty, staff
University offering flu shots to students, faculty, staffOctober 17, 2006SU News ServicesSUnews@syr.edu
Beginning Wednesday, Oct 18, flu vaccine will be available at SU Health Services for all SU and SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry students, faculty and staff. SUHS is unable to provide the vaccine for dependents.
Hours of administration are 11a.m.-2 p.m. Monday-Friday. No appointment is necessary. The cost is $16 for students, which can be billed to students’ Bursar’s accounts. It is $22 for faculty and staff, which can be paid by cash or check. Charges for students enrolled in the College Blue, Blue Point or Orange Point health plans can be billed directly to Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Insurance will not be billed for faculty and staff. For more information, call (315) 443-9001 or (315) 443-9019.
The Centers for Disease Control recommends that people in the following priority groups receive a flu shot:
- people age 65 years and older, with and without chronic health conditions
- residents of long-term care facilities
- people age 2-64 years with chronic health conditions
- children aged 6-23 months
- pregnant women (SUHS requires a note from the physician)
- health-care personnel who provide direct patient care
- household contacts and out-of-home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age