Activities announced for Remembrance Week
Activities announced for Remembrance Week November 06, 2003Kelly Homan Rodoskikahoman@syr.edu
The 2003-04 Syracuse University Remembrance Scholars will host a series of activities during Remembrance Week, which will be held Nov. 7-14 on the SU campus. The activities in which the Scholars will participate include:
- Visits to local classrooms, Nov. 7-14;
- a campus-wide exhibition of posters of the 35 student victims in various academic buildings, Nov. 10-14;
- carnation and lapel ribbon distribution, and memorial ribbons tied to trees;
- a publication, “35, Not Just a Number” has been created by newspaper journalism students and the Student Voice;
- a variety of service projects, including bingo at the Vivian Teal Howard Nursing Home (Nov. 9), delivering Meals on Wheels (Nov. 10), serving meals at the Samaritan Center (Nov. 10) and The Living Room (Nov. 11), and working with children of the International Young Scholars Program on a Remembrance Quilt (Nov. 13);
- a photo and video display in Hendricks Chapel’s Noble Room of “Dark Elegy,” the sculptures created by Suse Lowenstein, mother of SU student victim Alexander Lowenstein, Nov. 9-14;
- a Rose-Laying Ceremony at the Wall of Remembrance in front of the Hall of Languages, Nov. 14 at 2:03 p.m. (the time of the crash); and
- the Remembrance Convocation in Hendricks Chapel, honoring the 2003-04 Remembrance Scholars, Nov. 14 at 4 p.m.
Additional information on Remembrance Week activities is available on the Remembrance Scholarship Web site.