Syracuse University’s Martin J. Whitman School of Management
Syracuse University’s Martin J. Whitman School of ManagementJune 24, 2003Cynthia J. Moritzcjmoritz@syr.edu
Syracuse University’s Martin J. Whitman School of Management (http://sominfo.syr.edu/) was created in 1919 to serve the first generation of college students drawn by the promise of business. The University’s chancellor at the time, James Roscoe Day, charged the school’s first class with “You will go into business and put it on a higher plane-and the world will be better for it.”
The School of Management has been continuously accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business since 1920, when it was just the 16th business school in the nation to meet the accrediting standards. Before long, the world beat a path to its door. In the early 1920s, officials of the young Chinese republic turned to the school for graduate transportation programs they could not find at the Wharton School. In the late 1940s, the school launched a unique executive education program that drew participants from Agway, Crouse-Hinds, Boeing, Ford Motor Co., British Petroleum and Peugeot.
In 1983, the School of Management cut the ribbon on its current home, the Crouse-Hinds School of Management Building.
Today, the school is known for innovative programs such as Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises, which trains students to start their own businesses; the iMBA program, in which students from around the world earn MBAs through independent study; and its freshman program, which helps first-year students to acclimate themselves to college and to their majors.
The School of Management is building a new home, to be ready for occupancy in winter of 2005. The new building–160,000 square feet, 250 percent more space than in the existing Crouse-Hinds School of Management Building–will be constructed on the corner of Marshall Street and University Avenue. The total cost of the project is $39 million. The Manhattan-based architectural firm Fox & Fowle Architects, PC, led by senior principal and SU alumnus Bruce Fowle ’60, is designing the project.
The new building will include 22 state-of-the-art classrooms; 20 undergraduate and 20 graduate breakout rooms; a 200-seat auditorium; a three-story, 4,000-square-foot Grand Hall; an Investment Research Center; incubator start-up business space; a center for doctoral students; an Executive Education Center with two classrooms, six meeting rooms, a lounge and a dining room; and faculty seminar rooms and offices.